One of the common reasons for our inability to propel the vehicle is a malfunction related to the vehicle switch. It does not matter if it is a car switch with a mechanism with a classic key or one that operates on the basis of electronic security circuits on keys that are identified by the switch itself and prevent unwanted starting, when the switch does not work, the vehicle goes out of action.
In this case, there are 2 options – repair the switch or replace the switch!
Ignition switch repair and replacement services throughout Melbourne – we come to you!
- The ignition switch does not work? The key does not turn in the switch? got stuck? We are here to help
- Ignition repair of switches in cars and vehicles of all types at reasonable prices by a responsible and skilled team of car locksmiths
- We will come to you to repair or replace the ignition switch in the vehicle and we will give you a good, pleasant and courteous service experience
- Ignition switch repair at your site.
For fast service – call us now
When will a ignition switch repair solve the problem
and when is it better to replace the switch?
Many times it is possible to repair a car ignition switch and thus save on replacement costs. At the same time, it is important to know that the repair operation is much more complex than the replacement and therefore garages almost do not deal with repairs but recommend immediate replacement which is usually performed by a car locksmith.
But a professional – experienced locksmith can come up with reasons for switch problems that do not require replacement and perform a focused repair such as:
- Replacement of faulty pins in others – This is done when some of the pins are broken or crooked.
- Lubrication of the locking mechanism – the locksmith performs thorough and deep lubrication after removing the locking mechanism.
- Removing a foreign object from the lock assembly – Usually foreign objects penetrate the mechanism from the keys themselves.
- Cleaning the dust switch – a common phenomenon in SUVs and work vehicles and in older vehicles.
- Checking the integrity of the key – Many times the keys are the problematic and not the switch, especially when keys that have been duplicated are used poorly.
A professional car locksmith will also be able to recommend to you whether it pays to repair a switch that will last for a relatively short period and not necessarily turn to the replacement option (for example, in the case of an old car or one that is already for sale).
Is it possible to repair or replace
the ignition switch by your self?
Today you can find a very wide range of videos and “do-it-yourself” guides on the Internet, which detail how to repair ignition switch in a vehicle or make a replacement independently, depending on the type of vehicle.
Our recommendation is not to try to perform these operations alone but to hire a professional locksmith to do it for you. The reason is related to the delicacy of the switch components so that in the end, without professional knowledge, the harm may outweigh the benefit.
You can also try lubricating the ignition switch alone (using oil only) thus allowing dust and dirt particles to get out of the mechanism, but beyond that, it is best to avoid performing any operations.
When you contact the locksmith, he will make an initial diagnosis by phone. He will ask questions, ask to send pictures and videos of the switch and the malfunction that occurs. Accordingly, he may physically reach for the needs of diagnosis, repair or replacement, but he will also be able to direct you to the solution through telephone guidance only, depending on the type of fault.
The price of repairing ignition switch
and how much does it cost to replace it?
The price range for replacing the ignition switch in a car ranges from $ 250 to $ 500, to which must be added the cost of the new switch itself, which can cost a few hundred dollars more.
Other price additions that may result from replacing a ignition switch include duplicating additional car keys to match the new switch and in the case of a new vehicle, the chip must be recoded to fit the security system of the vehicle’s main computer.
As long as it is an old vehicle where the mechanism is only mechanical, it is better to replace the switch as the mechanism itself is cheap and many replacements can be obtained for it.
But when it comes to a relatively new vehicle, with electronic security mechanisms, it is advisable to try to insist on targeted repair. Whatever you choose, you should know that the price of a car repair switch is half the degree of replacement, so the savings are very significant.
If you are still interested in replacing the switch, know that it is possible to save costs if you call a professional locksmith who has access to used but good quality switches.
WE COME TO YOU ANYWHERE ANYTIME!
Lost all your car keys? Locked out of your car?
Call us now for free quote!